In 1886 a group of vicars (the Leicester Church Workers Union) came together to do something about the ‘deaf and dumb’. The result was the Leicester & County Mission for the Deaf, founded in June 1897. The first paid missionary, Mr A Cuttell (from the Carlisle Deaf Association), was appointed. He remained in this post until his death in 1904.


Premises acquired in Causeway Lane, Leicester.

Leslie Edwards OBE appointed as Chaplain of Leicester & Loughborough. He remained as Chaplain for 36 years; he was also well-known as the General Secretary of the British Deaf (& Dumb) Association.


Loughborough & District Mission for Deaf People acquired premises at 17 Forest
Road, Loughborough.


The City Council approached the Mission to redevelop the area and offered two sites, Welford Road or University Road.


The Mission moved to 135 Welford Road. Within a year, an extension for a games room called the Parr Room was built, thanks to a substantial legacy from Mr Parr.


The Mission became a registered charity under the National Assistance Act 1948.


An agency agreement commenced with Leicestershire County Council and Leicester City Council to provide personal social work services for deaf and hard of hearing people.


Local government reorganisation resulted in transfer of social services and education to Leicestershire County Council.


Acquired formal governance and management responsibilities for Loughborough & District Mission for the Deaf, based at 17 Forest Road, Loughborough.


Major office extension opened at the Welford Road premises.


The old hall site in Loughborough was sold to Loughborough & District Housing Society (later Charnwood Forest Housing Association) who carried out major alterations and converted the existing church building into a multipurpose community centre.


Prototype service level agreement in place with Leicestershire County Council.


The Loughborough premises reopened along with the first specialised housing scheme of six purpose-built flats on an adjacent site.


1994-97 Renewed three-year service level agreement in place with Leicestershire County


New local government structure in Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland.

100th Year Anniversary celebrated – Welford Road premises renamed as the Centre for Deaf People


First test of video telephony between Primary Care Trusts and University Hospitals of Leicester and the Centre for Deaf People.


Politician Keith Vaz MP appointed as AD Patron.


Leicestershire County Council terminated service level agreement thus ending its long association of social work provision to the Centre for Deaf People.


The charity re-branded and re-launched as Action Deafness.


Spotlight on Deafness Research document published with support from Leicestershire County Council Adult & Social Care Service.


Action Deafness, a company limited by guarantee, established for trading services across the UK.

Deaf Parenting Programme established with two-year funding from The Parenting


AD Books launched.

AD Cultural launched with the new three-year Lottery project, Hear Now.

Governing document restructured with AD’s status as service provider assured thus ending ties with the Leicester Diocesan Board of Finance.

Archbishop of Leicester steps down as Honourable President of Leicester & County


135 Welford Road, Leicester sold. Action Deafness offices moved to the Peepul Centre.

Leicester Deaf Users Groups relocated to The Firs Social Club, Leicester and continues to be financially supported by Action Deafness.

Communication and Interpreting Service rebranded as AD Communications.

Action Deafness acquired a grant from the DWP for the successful delivery of 61 temporary staff via the Future Jobs Fund throughout an 18-month period.

AD Communications successfully acquired a three-year contract with St Andrews Healthcare Trust for the delivery of specialist mental health interpreting provision in Northampton.

Signing Futures project launched with funding for two years.

AD Community launched.


Obtained quality standards ISO 9001 and ISO 27001 accreditation.

AD Tech and AD Employment launched at an evening reception at the House of Commons, London.

AD Communications successfully acquired a framework contract with Walsall Council for BSL interpreting provision.

Politician Andrew Bridgen MP appointed as AD Patron.


Action Deafness produced its ‘AD 2015 Strategy’.

AD Communications launched its new service, Red Dot Connect Video Online Interpreting.

AD Communications successfully acquired a framework contract in Sussex for BSL interpreting provision for over 20 agencies.

AD Books successfully launched its two published books.

17 Forest Road, Loughborough sold.

Loughborough Hard of Hearing User Groups relocated to Baxter Gate Baptist Church, Loughborough and continues to be financially supported by Action Deafness.


AD produced its Deafness Strategy document for local and health authorities in the East Midlands.

AD Cultural ‘Hear Now Forward’ project retained Big Lottery funding for an unprecedented second time.

AD Communications successfully acquired Brighton & Hove Clinical Commissioning & University Hospitals of Brighton contract.

AD Community successfully acquired service users from East Midlands region


AD Books successfully launched its two published books on deaf sport & mental
health issues.

AD Community successfully acquired service users from West Midlands region

AD successfully gained both ISO 9001 and ISO 27001 accreditation for the third time in a row.

AD Community reached its first four-figure monthly milestone.

AD Communications reached its first six-figure monthly income.


Action Deafness became a charitable company, thus merging traditional Leicester & Loughborough charities and Action Deafness trading company into one incorporation throughout the UK.

Acclaimed Shakespearian actress Josette Simon OBE became AD Patron.

Action Deafness produced its 2015-2018 strategy with aspirations of being a ‘business solutions provider’.