Take a step forward with AD Cultural
At Action Deafness we actively promote independence, equality, access and opportunity for all. As a deaf led organisation working with and for the benefit of, deaf, deafened, and hard of hearing people, we fully understand the tough challenges constantly facing those with a hearing loss.
These challenges are often compounded for people from Black, Minority and Ethnic (BME) backgrounds as they may struggle to find their identity in communities which may not fully accept disabilities, including deafness or know what support is available.
It was for this reason AD Cultural established HearNow Forward, offering services sensitive to, and specifically designed to support people from BME backgrounds, regardless of age.
HearNow Forward offers:
- Basic hearing screening: Identifying people from the BME communities with an undiagnosed hearing loss, some of whom may already know their hearing isn’t too good, but have yet to follow it up, encouraging people to protect their hearing, and to seek help as early as possible.
- Full hearing tests: If the basic hearing screening suggests a possible hearing loss, then the person can be referred immediately for a full hearing test.
- One to one assessments of need: Giving advice and guidance, supporting individuals/families or signposting to appropriate services to facilitate independence, reducing isolation, increasing well-being, and progressing in terms of personal development.
- Free British Sign Language (BSL) Level 1 and 2: People with a hearing loss from the BME communities may wish to learn BSL for their own benefit; members of their families, friends or work colleagues may wish to learn BSL to communicate with the Deaf BSL user, and could all benefit from access to the project’s free BSL courses.
- Free Deaf Awareness Training (DAT): This is offered for organisations wanting to know more about deafness, and how to make their organisation more accessible at a basic level, to those with any degree of hearing loss.
- Accessibility audits: Organisations wanting to know how they are faring in terms of accessibility for D/deaf people, and how to improve their services, can have an accessibility audit carried out by skilled and experienced professionals, providing recommendations on how they could improve.
- Coffee Mornings: Opportunity to socialise with others from the BME communities with a hearing loss, and learn more about services available in the local area.
- Drop-In Hearing Aid Repair Clinic: For those whose hearing aids aren’t working, need retubing, new batteries, etc.
HearNow Forward is the next exciting phase of the highly acclaimed HearNow project, which ended in 2013. The pilot HearNow project made such a positive impact within the targeted communities, that the Lottery funded HearNow Forward to enable Action Deafness to build on the project’s success, creating a legacy to support D/deaf people from BME backgrounds and continue breakdown barriers.
There is a wealth of support and advice available, so if you or someone you know could benefit from this service and would like to know more, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us directly on 0116 253 3205.