In 1886 a group of vicars (the Leicester Church Workers Union) came together to do something about the ‘deaf and dumb’. The result was the Leicester & County Mission for the Deaf, founded in June 1897. The first paid missionary, Mr A Cuttell (from the Carlisle Deaf Association), was appointed. He remained in this post [Read More]
Premises acquired in Causeway Lane, Leicester.
Leslie Edwards OBE appointed as Chaplain of Leicester & Loughborough. He remained as Chaplain for 36 years; he was also well-known as the General Secretary of the British Deaf (& Dumb) Association.
Loughborough & District Mission for Deaf People acquired premises at 17 Forest
The City Council approached the Mission to redevelop the area and offered two sites, Welford Road or University Road.
The Mission moved to 135 Welford Road. Within a year, an extension for a games room called the Parr Room was built, thanks to a substantial legacy from Mr Parr.
An agency agreement commenced with Leicestershire County Council and Leicester City Council to provide personal social work services for deaf and hard of hearing people.
Local government reorganisation resulted in transfer of social services and education to Leicestershire County Council.
Acquired formal governance and management responsibilities for Loughborough & District Mission for the Deaf, based at 17 Forest Road, Loughborough.