In 1886 a group of vicars (the Leicester Church Workers Union) came together to do something about the ‘deaf and dumb’. The result was the Leicester & County Mission for the Deaf, founded in June 1897. The first paid missionary, Mr A Cuttell (from the Carlisle Deaf Association), was appointed. He remained in this post until his death in 1904.