Webdev

About Webdev

This author has not yet filled in any details.
So far Webdev has created 54 blog entries.

Coffee Morning Assistant: Befriending and Gujarati Interpreting

About the opportunity
Every fortnight, Action Deafness Cultural hosts a Coffee Morning at The St Matthew’s Centre aimed at D/deaf, deafened and hard of hearing people from predominantly BME (Black and Minority Ethnic) communities.
People of all ages, nationalities and degrees of deafness meet up to chat with people in a similar situation.
All are welcome to attend.
Sometimes, [Read More]

1897

In 1886 a group of vicars (the Leicester Church Workers Union) came together to do something about the ‘deaf and dumb’. The result was the Leicester & County Mission for the Deaf, founded in June 1897. The first paid missionary, Mr A Cuttell (from the Carlisle Deaf Association), was appointed. He remained in this post [Read More]

1915

Premises acquired in Causeway Lane, Leicester.

Leslie Edwards OBE appointed as Chaplain of Leicester & Loughborough. He remained as Chaplain for 36 years; he was also well-known as the General Secretary of the British Deaf (& Dumb) Association.

1949

Loughborough & District Mission for Deaf People acquired premises at 17 Forest
Road, Loughborough.

1958

The City Council approached the Mission to redevelop the area and offered two sites, Welford Road or University Road.

1961

The Mission moved to 135 Welford Road. Within a year, an extension for a games room called the Parr Room was built, thanks to a substantial legacy from Mr Parr.

1969

The Mission became a registered charity under the National Assistance Act 1948.

1970

An agency agreement commenced with Leicestershire County Council and Leicester City Council to provide personal social work services for deaf and hard of hearing people.

1974

Local government reorganisation resulted in transfer of social services and education to Leicestershire County Council.

1988

Acquired formal governance and management responsibilities for Loughborough & District Mission for the Deaf, based at 17 Forest Road, Loughborough.